The sins of the tongue are many and in this era people may completely turn a blind eye to those sins. Here are some sins of the tongue that we should be wary about in our interactions with people.
- Bearing false witness
- Falsely accusing others.
- Engaging in slander or defamation.
- Cursing others and calling one another by offensive nicknames
- Gossiping and making fun of others,
- Boasting about one’s lineage
- Uttering obscenities and speaking in an offensive manner.
- Lying in general.
As Muslims, we must control our tongues and not speak unless we have something good to say. The Prophet (s) said:
“Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him speak good or else keep silent.”
Al-Bukhaari (6018) and Muslim (47) – Narrated from Abu Hurayrah
All our words and deeds are being recorded. Allah says in the Quran, which means:
‘Not a word does he (or she) utter but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)” (Qaf, 50:18)