Associating partners will Allah is the worst sin in front of Allah. For a person to enter Islam and become a Muslim, he or she must first attest that there is NO ‘Ilah” or deity that is worthy of worship other than Allah.
There are numerous references in the Quran about this vital principle. The following verses from Surah Maryam are an example of verses where Allah shows His anger and strong displeasure with those who associate a “son” with Allah – or God.
Surah Maryam (verses 88 – 95)
88. And they say: “The Most Gracious (Allah) has begotten a son (or offspring or children).”
89. Indeed you have brought forth (said) a terrible evil thing.
90. Whereby the heavens are almost torn, and the earth is split asunder, and the mountains fall in ruins,
91. That they ascribe a son (or offspring or children) to the Most Gracious (Allah).
92. But it is not suitable for (the Majesty of) the Most Gracious (Allah) that He should beget a son (or offspring or children). (You can read in detail about the story of Jesus in this publication here)
93. There is none in the heavens and the earth but comes unto the Most Gracious (Allah) as a slave.
94. Verily He knows each one of them, and has counted them a full counting.
95. And everyone of them will come to Him alone on the Day of Resurrection (without any helper, or protector or defender).
Reflections from this verse
- The verses and the language used in them show Allah’s anger and displeasure with those who associate others with Allah.
- The verses are a strong reminder of the Day of Judgment from which there is no escape for anyone. On this day the pious believers in the Oneness of Allah will see Allah as their Most Gracious Benefactor. The non-believers on the other hand will also come to see and believe the nature of truth on this awe inspiring day, which will come at the end of the world. (The major and minor signs of the End of the World and the Day of Judgement can be found by clicking here.)
- The verses emphasize the enormity of the crime of ascribing a son or offspring or daughters to Allah the Most Majestic. Although Allah may allow those committing this crime to enjoy the comforts of life, that doesn’t negate the approaching Day of Judgment when the Ultimate Truth will be unveiled.
- Allah asserts that all creatures whether in the Heaven or on earth are His slaves; they return to Him as slaves and He, the All-Knowing, knows each of His creations.
- The end of the verses make us aware of our individual accountability for all our actions, which will not be shared or supported by anyone. A false sense of assurance from a group of like-minded people, should not delude us into going against Allah’s Commands with impunity.
- You can read more Islamic wisdom related to self, family, and other matters in this book by clicking here.