Have you seen him who takes his own lust (vain desires) as his ilah (god), and Allah knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart, and put a cover on his sight. Who then will guide him after Allah? Will you not then remember? (Surah Al-Jathiya:23)
Reflections from this verse –
- This verse refers to following ones lust as making it ones god.
- Worship of Allah implies giving importance to His (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala)’s instructions and obeying them by going against the self when it leans towards that which Allah has forbidden.
- When man chooses to get deluded by his own ego and desires, Allah seals the heart and the hearing, and blinds him to his delusion.
- (And Allah left him astray with knowledge, ) has two meanings. One of them is that Allah knew that this person deserves to be misguided, so He left him astray. The second meaning is that Allah led this person astray after knowledge reached him and the proof was established before him. The second meaning includes the first meaning, but not the opposite. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)
- There is no guide except Allah and no Guidance except through The Quran.
- As Muslims, we should pray that Allah protect us from our own ‘nafs’ and that He help us to control those vain desires that threaten to take hold of our senses and become predominant in our lives. We should also pray that He keep our hearing, our sight and our heart open to and receptive to His guidance which is the only Guidance that matters both in this life and the life of the Hereafter.
May God bless who created this website to raise such beautiful awareness.
I second that! Ameen ya Rab. Maasha Allah this is an amazing website, I’ve learned so much from it.
May Allah guide all Muslims to unite so we will be together in the hearafter in Jannah. Ameen
A clear understanding of this world would keep us away from ‘vain desires’, and this understanding Allah All-Knowing gives us when He (Subhanahu wa ta’ala) tells us again and again in the Quran that this world is “but a brief passing enjoyment”. May Allah Help us in keeping clear of the snares of this world, the traps of the ego ‘nafs’ andthe mischief of Satan – Aameen!