These verses from the Quran sketch the Profile of a Muslim (Mu’min). Success for a Muslim doesn’t automatically follow belief. It requires fulfillment of certain conditions. This sketch of Muminun is explained in the first few verses of Surah Mu’minun in the Quran.
Sheikh Modudui elaborates on the theme of the Surah (the first few verses) as follows:
“This assertion cannot be fully appreciated unless one keeps in view the background in which it was made. On the one hand, there were the well-to-do and prosperous chiefs of Makkah, the opponents of Islam, whose business was thriving and who were enjoying every good thing of life, and on the other hand, there were the followers of Islam majority of whom were either poor from the beginning, or had been reduced to poverty by ruthless antagonism to Islam. Therefore, the assertion, “Most certainly the Believers have attained true success”, with which the discourse begins, was meant to tell the disbelievers that the criterion of success and failure that they had in mind was not correct. It was based on misconceptions besides being transitory and limited in nature: it led to failure and not true success. On the contrary, the followers of Muhammad (Allah’s peace be upon him), whom they regarded as failures, were truly successful, because by accepting the invitation to the Right Guidance given by the Messenger of Allah, they had struck a bargain which would lead them to true success and everlasting bliss in this world as well as in the Hereafter, whereas by rejecting the Message the opponents had incurred loss and would meet with the evil consequences both in this world and in the next.” (Source: Tafheem ul Quran)
Translation of the verses
1. Successful indeed are the believers.
2. Those who offer their Salat (prayers) with all solemnity and full submissiveness.
3. And those who turn away from Al-Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk, falsehood, and all that Allah has forbidden).
4. And those who pay the Zakat (prescribed charity)
5. And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts)
6. Except from their wives or (the slaves) that their right hands possess, – for then, they are free from blame;
7. But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors;
8. Those who are faithfully true to their Amanat (all the duties which Allah has ordained, honesty, moral responsibility and trusts) and to their covenants;
9. And those who strictly guard their (five compulsory congregational) Salawat (prayers) (at their fixed stated hours);
10. These are indeed the inheritors
11.Who shall inherit the Firdaus (Paradise). They shall dwell therein forever.
Reflections from Surah Al-Muminoon
We as Muslims therefore should ensure the following:
- Offer prayers regularly at the fixed times and by consciously standing in front of The Almighty Allah with total submission.
- Become cognizant about what Allah has forbidden and making a conscious effort to stay away from it. Just as we love to keep our bodies clean, we should be concerned about keeping our hearts untainted and pure by guarding ourselves from all that is dirty, evil, false and worthless in our talk, and from everything else that we have been forbidden.
- Promptly pay Zakat as soon as it is due and not delaying or making excuses, for the Zakat amount is ‘poor due’ and doesn’t belong to us.
- Not become brazen about matters pertaining to sex, or immune to shamelessness and promiscuity. Preserving human dignity and decency paves the way for a healthy society.
- Find legitimate gratification of desires only in our spouses.
- Not betray trust or go back on one’s word.
These verses explicitly convey that abiding by these not only will get us success in this life but will lead us into Paradise for eternal happiness!
In the same sura further qualities of believers are mentioned as under:
57 Verily those who live in awe for fear of their Lord;
58 Those who believe in the Signs of their Lord;
59 Those who join not (in worship) partners with their Lord;
60 And those who dispense their charity with their hearts full of fear, because they will return to their Lord;-
61 It is these who hasten in every good work, and these who are foremost in them
Subhan Allah ! May Allah (SWT) keep us on sirat-ul-mustaqeem!Ameen
May Allah provide us with the understanding, zeal, strength and desire to serve Him better. May we earn His paradise.
As salamu alaikum: I sure that all of us strive to be the best Muslim on earth! The wonderful thing is; what you have pointed out wont cost us any money!!!
Take my salam. I am very much impressed and inspired to have these articles. May Allah[st] bestow us towfiq to be on ‘siratul mustaqim’.
Very good post – May Allah provide us with better understanding, strength and desire to serve Him better.
indeed they are the successful….maasha Allah
What a wonderfull website full of teachings may all @muslimah make use of this website. keep it up team
Jaza kallahu hairun this is a very good article because it will enlighten those that play with the religion of Allah and make them
Steadfast in prayers and total submission and therefore strengthen the Iman of the Ummah. Please don’t relent in your effort in furnishing the Muslim Ummah with the right and lawful ways of worship.
Jazaakalah for a reminder.to the straight path.
Wlkmsalaam wrahmthlah wabrkathahu
subhanallah! Yeah indeed the succesful are those that believe in the one’s of GOD and also testify prophet Muhammad (saw) is the messenger of allah. May Allah guide us to the straight path and may we all inherit jannatul firdouse, Ameeeen!
Assalamualikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatah
May Allah (swt) reward you for this great service to humanity.Your articles are life changing and vision broadening.To be a best Muslim these articles are the guiding source.I am new here and hope to get benefitted by your efforts .Jazakallahi Khaira.
Masha Allah. Nice explanation and interpretation. May Allah accept the great work. ameen
ASSALAAMU ALAIKUM WARAHMATULLAH WABARAKATUHU
JAZAK ALLAH KHAIRAN!MAY ALLAH SUBHANO WATA AALA send blessings on NABI KAREEM SALAL LAHO ALAIHE WASSALLAM.MAY ALLAH SUBHANO WATA AALA always keep each one of us on SIRATE MUSTAQEEM till our last breath and whenever we meet our ALLAH SUBHANO WATA AALA,we would be included among pious servants of our ALMIGHTY Aameen.
ASSALAAMU ALAIKUM WARAHMATULLAH WABARAKATUHU
Allahu akbar! The opening verse; “Most certainly the Believers have attained true success”, and your comment! “Just as we love to keep our bodies clean, we should be concerned about keeping our hearts untainted and pure by guarding ourselves from all that is dirty, evil, false and worthless in our talk, and from everything else that we have been forbidden”, should be food for thought to all Muslims especially now that Ramadan is almost at hand. May Allah bless you abundantly.
ASSALAMU ALAYKUM WAAHMATULLAH WABARAKATUHU
YA ALLAH SUBHANU WATA AALA send abundant peace and blessings upon RASUL ULLAH SALALLAHU ALAIHI WASALLAM,on all messengers and muslim believers, accept all your good deeds and bless you all with hapiness and best reward in both the lives , for spreading the beneficial knowledge of Islam,ameen.Jazak Allah khairan kaseer!
May ALLAH SUBHANU WATA AALA help us to do that Please YOU, and avoid everything , that Annoy You, ameen.
Life of Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddiq [RADI ALLAHU ANHU],Hazrat Khadija [RADI ALLAHU ANHA] are examples, who were very wealthy before accepting Islam, after accepting Islam, served their wealth for Islam,foremost in doing good deeds and were the successful persons .
ASSALAMU ALAYKUM WARAHMATULLAH WABARAKATUHU
Mashaallah… this is an excellent source of knowledge …. Jazakallah